In this report we aim to explore and visualize the types of land injustices in the state of Maine in partnership with Land in Common For centuries, Maine has undergone various forms of inequity regarding minority groups and their land. Land in Common is a community land whose mission seeks “to develop a durable, state-wide, democratically run cooperative structure for the ownership, care, and equitable distribution of land in Maine.” Under this umbrella, Land in Common creates affordable housing by separating land from development and bringing it under common ownership. Another important piece of Land in Common’s mission is to return the land we now call Maine back to its original owners, the Wabanaki people. As stated, Land injustice varies tremendously across the state of Maine as you will see in our many figures below. We have scoured the internet, deriving information from ArcGIS, the Agriculture census, and files directly from Land in Common in order to break down who owns land in Maine. The most notable injustice is that there are 7 groups (families and corporations) that own 25% of all land in Maine. This impressive statistic constitutes the efforts of Land in Common. The other 75% of land is privately owned typically by white families, leaving people of color and indigenus groups with a miniscule amount. People of color and indigenous groups have been oppressed across the entire nation for centuries. Although there is ample evidence that constitutes change everywhere, it is apparent that these changes are not easily sprouted. However, this is the essence of this project and Land in Common. Change is the ultimate goal and with our findings we intend to help Land in Common achieve their goals Through our extensive research on how land is broken down by multiple variations across Maine, we aim to display our data in a coherent way for Land in Common to use. Our data is designed for the people of Land in Common to better comprehend the best locations for Land distribution given what and who surrounds certain areas. We also intend to identify different ways to raise awareness of Land in Common in order to receive more donations for their selfless cause. Finally, how could we set up a volunteer program at Bates College that serves as proposal work for students.
Aberg, Audrey; Culver-Witt, Alex; and Walker, Jonathan, "Addressing Land (In)Justice Through Data Collection In Partnership with Land in Common" (2022). Community Engaged Research Reports. 88.